Ikaruga is now on Steam
The year was 2003. The year I met my best friend and cohort. We bonded over a marathon co-op gaming session on the original XBOX playing Halo: Combat Evolved. Our friendship has blossomed over the ensuing years; holidays have come and gone, girls have been argued over, raids have been conquered in MMOs but one thing has remained, our love of co-op gaming. Today was a landmark one; Ikaruga, Treasure’s shoot-em-up masterpiece, a game we’ve spent many hours frothing over on the Gamecube, has finally made its PC bow.
Ikaruga has at its core the most simple of gameplay mechanics; a white/black polarity system. White bullets do extra damage to black ships and vice versa, while you absorb bullets of the same colour to yourself. It’s an inherent risk reward system, is simple in its concept but requires absolute concentration and skill to execute a successful run. There is no luck involved in Ikaruga.
Ikaruga is only lb6.99 and is, without question, one of my favourite games of all time. If you can’t play co-op who cares it’s still great on your own! In fact, some of the most mesmerising feats of Ikaruga play can be achieved on your own, here is a video to prove it:
You’re already convinced so I need not say any more, here’s a bunch of boring “facts” if you care about that sort of thing though:
- The player ship, all enemies and bullets are black or white. Player’s polarity can be switched at will.
- Your ship can absorb enemy bullets of the same polarity. Filled energy goes to fire powerful homing lasers! (Release Power)
- Defeat 3 enemies in a row of the same polarity and get the chain bonus! Building up high scores feels like a puzzle game?
- Spectacular 3D graphics. Fast and smooth game play.
- 2 Players game (Local) and Double Play Mode: You can play 2 Players game with one controller.
- 5 levels. Tactical level design and boss battles.
- 3 difficulty levels: EASY, NORMAL, HARD. Change your tactics depending on the difficulty.
- 2 Game modes: ARCADE, PROTOTYPE (not hidden).
- Replay data save is available. You can also download them from the Leaderboards.
- Vertical screen mode support. You can also play the game like a side-scrolling shooter by rotating only the game screen.
- Xbox360 controller, Keyboard and Mouse support.